Any issues with branded namespace?

Coordinator
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has a problem with the namespace conventions used in TSL.NET source code. The TSL.NET library is wrapped in a branded namespace "NebulaRnD.TwilioServer".  My company name is Nebula Research and Development. As the primary developer for this software I don't think there's anything wrong with a little branding so that people know where the code comes from. And I really have been following the practice established for the "Twilio WCF REST Client Library for .NET 3.5" where the namespace is "Interscape.TwilioClient".

Examples of namespace and class names:

• Working code samples
    • Namespace NebulaRnD.TwilioServer.Samples.Win contains all Windows Forms samples
      • Class AccountSamples returns info about accounts
      • Class SimpleWeatherSample causes postback to web server where a web service is called to get weather info which is then rendered back as TwiML
    • NebulaRnD.TwilioServer.Samples.Web
      • RecordMessageSample is the back-end to a corresponding .Win class
    • Class NebulaRnD.TwilioServer.Example
      • Contains several methods  which demonstrate how to generate TwiML, showing equivalent PHP library code.
  • Components
    • NebulaRnD.TwilioServer.NotificationList derives from PagedList as do other account-related classes
    • NebulaRnD.TwilioServer.NotificationFilter facilitates filtering queries

For some of the base classes like PagedList, I copied the Interscape classes and then enhanced them (since it doesn't look like that library is being maintained anymore). So you'll see some similar and identical classes but they're under a different namespace to avoid conflicts.

Anyone using TSL.NET can rebrand to suit their own application purposes but of course that will make updates difficult.  Using TSL.NET is as easy as referencing the class library, setting Using or Import statements for NebulaRnD.TwilioServer, then using the classes. So really there's no need to refactor the namespaces unless you're going to fork the package.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Until it's posted this is vapor. 

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 1:44 AM
steveland wrote:

Until it's posted this is vapor. 

I understand the comment. v0.1.0 Beta has just been posted with full source for absolutely everything.

I'm having problems posting items to CodePlex here but as soon as possible I will be adding notes to the tracker for known features that need to be added, and doc notes about how the code works.

Thanks for your patience Steve. Please let me know how I can help with your development.