source?

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Why not post the source?  

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Thanks for the question. I'm honored that you have interest.

Please see FAQ#3 posted on Jan 17th from the Documentation page:

Q : Where's the code? When can we download it?
A : I'm still working on the Alpha code. When it's ready for Beta I'll publish an initial release and we'll test it through to a v1.0.0 Production status. Expect something in the next few weeks.

Frankly, I just wrote this within the last couple weeks, and while, as you can see from the tests.cs sample, it passes all tests created so far, it may not work in a production environment in it's current v0.0.2 Alpha state. I simply don't know, I need to take the time to do proper testing, make some phone calls, and see what happens.

I've observed at CodePlex, Sourceforge, and many other fine collaborative repositories, that most people want something that's usable as-is so that they can hit the ground running with their own projects. Only a small percentage really want source to improve and contribute back to the developer. That's fine. However, if I publish the code as-is and it doesn't meet expectations, it may disappoint more people than it will please simply because of those dynamics. If I do my job as a conscientious developer and try to build in a reasonable level of quality, then the library will be suitable for both audiences, those who just want to use it and those who want to improve upon it.

I'm also hoping to have some discussion with people at Twilio, to compare my library to theirs, see where mine might be deficient, and add more functionality that they believe would be helpful to their developer audience. So another answer to your question is - I'm not sure if I have everything in there yet.

So please have some patience, keep the comments and questions coming, and subscribe for updates to this project. Twilio developers have gone for quite a long time without C# source code for TwiML. It's not like anyone needs source immediately. I'm personally going to hold from publishing for just a few weeks until I think what's here is right.

Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM

If I sounded a bit gruff, apologies.  It just looks like it would have been useful to me, but to only have tests posted, it felt almost taunting.  "Look what you *could* be doing, except there's no source!".  :/

I subscribe more to the "release early, release often" mindset on sites like this, and even having something that didn't quite meet your expectations would still have been useful to me, and would probably spur a bit of discussion here about the possible future directions.

All that said, I wish you luck on the project, and I'll check it out later when it's ready.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I agree about the potential for a tease/taunt and took a little risk. I want to build up a little expectation and get feedback for the first release before it's "feature-complete". I also wanted to get something in front of the Twilio (.com) developers quickly so that they can decide if they want to collaborate, maybe skip their own effort, or tell me that their offering will be light-years ahead of this one so that I could close this down. The jury is still out on that.

Thanks for your feedback!